There always seems to be an overflowing amount of books you can read when it comes to being pregnant and what comes after. You’ve also got those women who want to tell you about their experience. Although, no one could’ve prepared me for all that comes along with pregnancy and postpartum. I got together with some girlfriends and rounded up all the details that you won’t find in many books. So today, TMI is being thrown out the window and we’re getting brutally honest! We’ve got to stick together, ladies! (insert fist bump here) Lol!
This post was brought to you by Poise and Acorn Influence. All opinions and thoughts are my own.
Thank you to the brands and companies that help support Southern Made Blog. #PoiseLinerLove #ad
- Sneezing and peeing on yourself becomes the norm.
- Shaving becomes an Olympic sport.
- Hair starts popping up everywhere and often in places you don’t appreciate.
- That little line down your belly, yeah the Linea Nigra…it’s not going away for a very long time.
- Mood swings? Yep, check!
- Your first ultrasound to see that sweet little peanut, there’s no jelly going on your belly! Your doctor will give you a transvaginal ultrasound. So go ahead and get comfortable because this area of your body will be exposed a lot during these 9 months.
- This one I’m sure your spouse will appreciate but your boobs will feel like Mount Everest. For most women, it’s the first sign of pregnancy and they’re only going to get bigger.
- Let’s talk sweating! You’ve never known hot flashes and night sweats until you’re pregnant!
- Restless Leg Syndrome (RLS) …this one’s a doozy. Not everyone experiences this one, fortunately! Waking up in the night to charley horses in your calf is not ideal.
- Your sense of smell is ridiculous! You will avoid the fish section at ALL costs when you go to the grocery store. For me, this started as early as 3 weeks of conception.
- The third trimester is rough. It’s going to take you at least 10 minutes to get out of bed in those last several weeks, which you’ll be doing often due to the fact you have to pee all the time.
- Oh, the heartburn! Be prepared to start popping tums like tic tacs.
- Sciatic nerve pain is legit! Both of my boys were so low that this was a frequent occurrence for me, especially towards the end.
- The majority of the kicks and jabs from your babe are sweet, and then they just hurt because they are in break out mode!
- You probably had luscious hair during your pregnancy. Little did I know about all the baby hair that would make its appearance after labor and delivery. Topknots are only ever accompanied by lots and lots of hair spray.
- Back to the sneezing and peeing…it doesn’t stop once the baby is here. LBL (light bladder leakage) is more common than most people think.
- Bleeding after childbirth is a given, but be prepared to see blood clots here and there. First time around this can be a bit alarming, but luckily your doctor is only a phone call away.
- Back to the leakage, but this time we’re talking boob leakage! It’s insane how a mother’s body works. You need only THINK about your little one needing to eat or THINK you hear them crying….and hello, here’s my milk. You might also wake up in a puddle of milk in the night. Be prepared for that!
What’s the one thing you see throughout both pregnancy and postpartum? Light bladder leakage! It’s a very common thing among women, especially those who’ve experienced childbirth. Gone are the days of shying away from “THAT” aisle. Having the freedom to never miss a beat with those beautiful children you’ve brought into this world is priceless. I love that Poise Microliners gives women that freedom. Toss all the other fem products that are inconsistent in absorbency and grab the one that you know won’t fail you. As moms, we are limited on time and we just don’t have the time to shop at multiple stores for everything we need. Walmart is my one stop shop for everything! I love that I save travel time from running the roads, I can stock up on each item listed, and save money! It’s a no brainer!
Those are the juicy details that all lead up to the best day of your life, the birth of your child! Every single thing you experience, you’d experience again because this thing called motherhood brought you this precious little miracle! Ladies, our bodies are an amazing thing! Take care it so you can live life to the fullest and be the best mama you can be!
Thanks to all the moms who contributed!
Jacki Q says
Spot on!!! My hot flashes have continued well after having my babies too. My poor family! hahah
Lol! Mine too, mama!
Vanessa Sokic says
Oh m g. YOu are hilarious and this is very real and SO stinkin’ true. Oh to be a man….wait, no thanks.
Haha! Yeah, no thank you! I’ll take all that comes with being a female! Ha!
Krista Nile says
Great post!! These are all so true. Especially about that first ultrasound. I was NOT expecting that at all!!! Haha!!
Thank you! I know! I doubt many newly expectant mamas are. Lol!
Such an important post for mamas to read. There was SO much I did not know with baby #1. I think these posts are great because you can get prepared physically and mentally!
Thank you! I completely agree! It’s so important to prepare yourself for what’s to come!
That’s the most common thing that I hear…. “Nobody told me about this!” This post is very informative! Thanks for sharing.
Right? Hopefully this helps shed a light to the things that aren’t often talked about! Thanks for reading.
Catherine Short says
I had an epic day where I sneezed and peed on myself twice in one day within an hour of each other. You’d think I would have learned my lesson and worn a panty liner!
Lol!! Oh yeah, girl! That happens all the time in the early postpartum days. That sweet baby of yours is the sweetest! I hope you can bring him to our next bloggers’ dinner! Can’t wait to hold that peanut!
Erin | A Welder's Wife says
Now I’m second guessing the baby idea! Haha! Thank you for going there and letting those of us who have not had children in on your secrets! I try to be modest when I ask for information, but the women I know are vaults! These are all new to me!
Haha!! Don’t do that, now. :) Every single thing we go through is worth it for that precious miracle. There is no better thing in this world than holding your own child. Oh, and you definitely won’t find any shut vaults around here! Lol! I’m an open book!
Erin | A Welder's Wife says
That is good to know! Thank you for being so open!
Thanks for reading, Erin! :)
Oh yes! I was prepared for most everything that came along with my pregnancy but postpartum was a whole different story. The crying, the sweating, the hair loss! I was a hot mess for weeks. Loved this post!
Thank you, girl! Oh man…postpartum, yes! That was a whole new ballgame.
So true, I wonder why most women don’t talk about these things.
No clue! I wish it was talked about more. Lol! Mamas need to know they’re not alone!
This is great, I was laughing the entire time!! Currently 32 weeks pregnant with our first (a boy) and he loves to kick and push on my ribs-doesn’t help the heartburn either! haha. Thanks for sharing this lovely insight :)
Haha! Glad you enjoyed it, mama! Congrats on your soon to be little man! Boys are the best!
Hallie Halston says
Thanks for showing the truth. This is really important for every mom. I will share this through my social channels as well.
Thank you. It definitely needs to be talked about more.